Does anyone get as excited as I do when they find a vegetable substitute for starchy white items like noodles or bread? I am not against having a baguette or nice big bowl of pasta once in a while but I personally feel better when I avoid those ingredients for the most part. I have seen versions of zucchini lasagna circling the web for some time now but this is the recipe that we’ve been using for years to get our veggie fix in. It is extra cheesy, and especially delicious. Not to mention it is vegetarian, gluten free, low carb and ketogenic friendly! A great alternative for anyone who is looking to add a healthier spin on the famous italian dish. Hope you enjoy!!
- 2 zucchini
- 1 carton of cottage cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup red tomato sauce
- 2 cups grated cheese
- salt & pepper
- slice zucchini into long thin strips using a mandolin
- mince garlic cloves
- in a separate bowl, mix cottage cheese, two eggs, minced garlic, a dash of salt and pepper
- in baking dish, spread tomato sauce on bottom and sides of the dish
- 1st layer: layer zucchini strips on the bottom of the dish in the same direction, then cover with a layer of cottage cheese mixture, and then sprinkle with grated cheese
- 2nd layer: add another layer of zucchini strips in opposite direction of the first layer, then cover with a layer of cottage cheese mixture, and then sprinkle with grated cheese.
- continue these layers until you are out of ingredients (zucchini layer must end on top) and then spread tomato sauce on top of last layer of zucchini strips, and then sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- put into the oven at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes
- allow to cool for atlas 15 minutes before cutting and serving to allow the cheese to harden slightly and set the dish.
** PIN the image below to save this recipe for dinner **