This single ingredient has become a massive trend in the world of natural healthcare. Lists are written of the many different ways you can use this miracle oil in your everyday life. I always have it on hand in my household, whether it’s for cooking, oil pulling, or moisturizer when I’ve run out of mine for a few days. You just cant find another ingredient that is this versatile.
As with any product, not all coconut oil is made equally. Nowadays you can find coconut oil on almost any grocery shelf. The issue with this is that a lot of companies have jumped on the fad bandwagon and are cheaping out on the quality of oil they’re selling to you.
There are a few ways this can happen. First, The process in which the coconut oil is extracted is an important one. When looking for the full benefits of this oil you want to make sure that it is cold pressed. This means that the oil was not extracted with methods using heat which can kill the majority of nutrients and health benefits this oil can provide. When a coconut oil is cold pressed, it is still considered raw and this is the best way to enjoy all the health benefits of any fruit or vegetable as we know.
Second, The quality of the actual coconuts being harvested is a big deal. I’m sure we’ve all heard of of the term “genetically modified” by now, as it is a big debate in the health world. Coconut oil is no exception. There are reports of countries creating Genetically modified coconut oil to keep costs low and yield high. This is not what we want to hear when spending extra to purchase a higher quality oil like coconut oil. It also makes a difference if the companies are using organic coconuts or not. It is best to use oils that are free from pesticides as we all have heard what these can do to our health.
Third, We want to make sure that we carefully read the label to ensure that the type of oil were purchasing is for the specific use. There are some coconut oils that are better served as cooking oils while others are better for beauty or health care use.
After much searching, I have managed to find one of the best coconut oils on the market. Skinny Coconut Oil! I am happy to say that this coconut oil is a small batch, extra virgin, cold pressed coconut oil, made with nothing but 100% pure, raw, pesticide free, wild coconuts from the pristine jungles of Vietnam. Impressive! What I mean by “small batch” is that they only use the best coconuts and therefor cannot mass produce the product the same way companies who use genetically modified coconuts can. Because of this, they can only produce so much and actually limit the amount of oil they provide as wholesale to larger companies.
Another bonus to this oil is it smells like REAL coconuts when you open the jar. This is something that you wont always get from other coconut oil companies due to the cold pressed extraction process and quality of coconuts that Skinny coconut oil uses.
Now onto the fun part, this company has created different lines of their oil for different reasons. They have an oil for cooking which is a common use for coconut oil since this oil is not dangerous when exposed to heat. They also have a line of beauty products, and a peppermint infused coconut oil made specifically for oil pulling. The quality of this coconut oil delivers more health benefits than most. My favourite part of this line if the Peppermint infused coconut oil for oil pulling.
For those of you who have not yet tried or heard of oil pulling, this is a health trend that emerged recently but has actually been around for a long time. It consists of swishing coconut oil around your mouth everyday on an empty stomach for around 20 minutes. This action draws out toxins in your body, primarily to improve oral health but also to improve your overall health.
Here are 9 different ways that Oil pulling can benefit you:
1. Fresher breath: by removing bacteria from the mouth you can reduce haliotosis or bad breath. This method has been proven to be just as effective as pharmaceutical grade mouthwash!
2. Fights illness: This is a bit of a given but we do pass bacteria from our mouths by breathing or through saliva. Less bacteria in your mouth leads to less illness.
3. Teeth and Gum health: Bacteria can cause some pretty nasty issues in your mouth such as gingivitis. Gingivitis occurs due to an immune response your body gives off when trying to fight the bacteria sitting in the plaque on your teeth. By reducing plaque and bacteria with oil pulling, you are significantly reducing issues such as gum disease and cavities.
4. Natural teeth whitening: This method has been proven as a natural alternative to whitening toothpastes, strips and mouthwashes. While those are all filled with chemicals and can cause sensitivity to your teeth, oil pulling whitens without those side effects!
5. Hormonal Balancing: By removing the toxins and bacteria in your mouth you are allowing your hormones to function without added disruption. This can help alleviate PMS symptoms and correct menstrual cycles in women.
6. Clearing skin of blemishes: This also occurs due to the hormone balancing effects of oil pulling. Many skin issues are caused by the toxin build up and hormonal imbalance in our bodies. By pulling these toxins out and allowing hormones to work freely you can significantly reduce the blemishes on your skin.
7. Chest congestion/Asthma: Oil pulling can reduce the inflammatory response to bacteria or toxins in your body which allow you to breathe easier. This has also been documented to reduce chest congestion and bronchitis.
8. Liver function: We all know that the liver is our bodies organ for detoxifying. when we overload our liver with toxins it can build up and cause some pretty awful symptoms. By reducing the amount of toxin build up and bacteria in our mouths we alleviate this work from the liver and allow it function more efficiently.
9. Detox: Oil pulling can be a great detox method over all. Mouths house some of our worst microscopic bugs such as bacteria, toxin, parasites, etc. By focusing on elimination of these tiny friends, we make sure they don’t travel to the rest of our body.
My other favourite product from Skinny Coconut oil which is their body care line. I love the sugar scrub made with natural coconut sugar. This will help exfoliate any dead skin from your body without using harmful micro beads or chemicals. I use it as a lip scrub when they get dry, especially in the winter months and before I put on lip balm (which they also have, and it’s amazing!). The scrub also lays the foundation for skin that will soak up their whipped body butters. These are nourishing and moisturizing like you cannot believe! They offer a regular scent as well as a whipped jojoba rose body butter. Delicious!
Their website offers many more products made of their quality coconuts. You can check them out and purchase from their website here: